Petunia Easy Wave® 'White F1' - SeedPetunia pendula Easy Wave® 'White F1'
Long enjoyment from these beautiful flowers!
Petunia Wave® 'Fortunia White' (Petunia pendula) has wonderful white petals. These are the very best hanging petunias now available to be grown from seed. They produce a waterfall of flowers all summer long. The coating around the pelleted seed makes them really easy to sow.Show more
Planting and flowering details
Show morePetunia seed requires no prior treatment.
How to SowSow indoors, January-March.
Sow in the garden, April through June.
There are two ways to sow:
- Easiest is a propagator on the window-sill from January, or the cold-frame. Fill pots or seed trays with seeding compost and lay one seed per pot, on the soil. Press it carefully down - do not cover as petunias need the light to germinate. Sprinkle very carefully with water and heat will do the rest. Stand in a cooler spot if they get too big before they can go outdoors - transplant to a bigger pot if you think it necessary. Plant out mid-May once hardened off - stand them outdoors in a sheltered, shady spot, for one hour longer every day for 5 days. Then they will be acclimatised and can go outdoors.
- Plant in the garden, preferably in full sun from the end of April through June. Loosen the soil with a fork to at least 30 cm deep. Draw a straight furrow and label the row. Lay one seed in the furrow at 10 cm intervals - do not cover as petunias need the light to germinate. Carefully sprinkle the row with water. Extra rows at 20 cm apart. The seedlings are susceptible to frost so do protect them with some garden fleece if this is forecast.
Plant the profuse flowering Petunia Wave® 'Fortunia White' from mid May in their final position. Petunias are great in baskets or other pots and planters but also look great in borders and beds.
Prepare a hole and improve poor soil with well rotted manure or extra potting compost. In borders and beds, give each plant 20cm - in pots and hanging baskets, 10 cm. Water immediately after planting. If kept in a sunny position this petunia will be absolutely laden with flowers the whole summer through.
Show moreOnly water extra during dry periods, keep the bed weed-free and your petunias will thrive. Undemanding, but does not like to stand in the wet. Petunias will thrive even in poor soil but a regular feed will ensure profuse flowering of Petunia Wave® 'Fortunia White' so add plant food to the watering can fortnightly.
Keep deadheading to encourage reflowering. This plant will be in bloom from June until the first frosts.
Pots and hanging basketsPetunias are ideal for pots, containers and hanging baskets. Plant the young plants close together in the spring using fresh potting compost. You can make the most beautiful partnerships with many other plants - try for instance with Lobelia, hanging geraniums and Verbena.
Beds and borders
Petunias are best known in hanging baskets but without doubt a very versatile garden plant. The Petunia Wave® 'Fortunia White' makes an excellent bedding plant and ground cover. Try filling a bed edged with 'Box' with this summer flower. Or enhance the edge of your paths with its colourful flowers. The hanging stems can also hang over a low wall.
Tip: When your spring flowers are over, Petunias are great for filling up the bare spaces left in borders and beds. Even right up to July!
Show morePetunias are annuals that grow to 25-30 cm tall. This plant is originally from South America, brought to Europe from Argentina in 1833. Nurserymen have hybridised it many times and produced many different varieties, mostly in the most wonderful shapes and colours.
Petunia belongs in the family of nightshades (Solanaceae). Most hybrids fall under P. x hybrida but there are so many, a further division was made, called sections.
The following sections are the best known:
- Petunia Grandiflora - large flowered (10 cm flowers) - less resistant to bad weather.
- Petunia Hedgiflora - very low growing, creeping or ground covering petunias.
- Petunia Mulitflora - medium sized (5.1 cm flowers), creeping, really weather resistant (sun and rain).
- Petunia Milliflora - small flowered (2.5 cm flowers) petunias.
Petunia Wave® 'Fortunia White' belongs in the Hedgiflora section.
How to useIt gets said over and over - Petunias look their best in hanging baskets and other pots and planters on the patio or decking, but they still demand attention in the front of beds and borders. They will flower in your garden or on your patio from late spring up to the first frosts.
Although the petunia is not really a cut flower, they still look very attractive in a small vase on the table for a cute summery bouquet!