You have several options upon receipt of your fig tree (Ficus elastica 'Tineke'):
- Layer an attractive planter with holes in the bottom with potsherds or some hydropellets. Stand the plant, pot and all in this planter and water immediately.
- Pot up into an attractive planter. If it has holes, make sure there's a saucer underneath and cover the holes with potsherds or hydropellets before filling up with potting compost. Be sure that the root ball is at the correct depth before pressing firmly in. Water directly.
- Leave the plant in its nursery pot and stand it on a saucer.
Always water immediately after planting and do not allow the plant to stand in drainage water for longer than 24 hours.
Stand this plant out of the midday sun in the living room and do not allow the pot to dry out.
Your fig tree (Ficus elastica 'Tineke') will look its best:
- In a sunny spot that is fairly well protected from midday sun. Morning and evening sun is fine but we find that best spot is about 3 meters from a window. 6 meters is also not a problem really, as this plant can tolerate a little shade.
- In a warm spot with temperatures between 18 and 23°C - underfloor heating will certainly be appreciated - right next to a radiator or other method of central heating is not recommended. The warm and dry air created by our central heating systems will dry the plant out faster and it is then likely that the leaves will turn brown. Although less sensitive than others to our dry indoor climates, it is best to give this plant as much help as possible to feel at home.