- Stand it in an attractive planter with holes in the base. Cover the holes with a layer of gravel or potsherds and stand the plant, complete with nursery pot on top. The planter will need to be stood on a saucer to collect drained off water.
- Pot it up into an attractive planter with holes in the base. Cover the holes with a layer of gravel or potsherds and add potting compost. Stand the root ball at the correct depth and fill the pot with compost around the roots. Press firmly down - leave a space of about 3 cm from the top edge of the pot. Stand the planter on a saucer to collect drained off water.
- Stand it in an attractive planter without holes but do layer the bottom of the pot with gravel so the plant's pot is off the bottom. A wide planter is best as then you can see whether or not the bottom of the pot is standing in water or not.
- Or just stand the plant, nursery pot and all, on a saucer - on a layer of gravel.
Dieffenbachia 'Summer Style' - PlantDieffenbachia seguine 'Summer Style'
Dieffenbachia is a very easy house plant!
The exceptionally pretty house plant, Dieffenbachia 'Summer Style' has striking foliage with large white markings. Originally from South American, Dieffenbachia is sure to be noticed in your home! This very decorative house plant can flower with a greenish-white arum type lily flower but it's rather difficult to bring into flower. Give your easily grown Dieffenbachia 'Summer Style' a nice light spot out of the midday sun and keep the soil moist and your lovely tropical Dieffenbachia 'Summer Style' is then sure to thrive!Show more
Show moreUpon receipt of your Dieffenbachia sequine you have several options:
The best spot for your DieffenbachiaThe most perfect spot for your Dieffenbachia sequine is:
- One with lots of light but that is sheltered from the hottest midday sunlight - early mornings or evenings are not a problem (in fact it will appreciate it!). Usually somewhere around 3 metres from a window is ideal.
- Somewhere warm, (18-23 degrees centigrade) wonderful if you happen to have under floor heating. Immediately next to or above a radiator will not be appreciated (it will dry the potting compost out too quickly, giving more chance of leaf drop).
- Somewhere with high humidity (60-70%). Spraying the plant regularly will help - 2 or 3 times a day even!
Show moreWatering your Dieffenbachia weekly will help it to grow well - add some plant food for leafy plants to the water fortnightly. Water 2x a week in the warm summer season but do wait until the compost feels dry to the touch.
In living rooms with a low humidity (< 50%) the plant will appreciate being sprayed once or twice a day. A chalky residue will show on leaves in areas with hard water so we advise using rainwater or cool boiled water to spray.
As the plant generally grows towards the light, it is a good idea to give it a quarter turn every month - standing it, pot and all, on a wheeled base makes this easier of course.
Extra tipsDieffenbachia sequine will appreciate being stood outdoors on a warm but rainy day. It will really perk up after a shower.
As in its natural habitat, it will regularly lose its lower leaves - do not worry if they turn yellow and drop off, as long as it continues to make new ones.
With these tips, you can keep your dieffenbachia healthy and looking fresh for a long time.
Show moreDieffenbachia sequine is a robust and easy to grow houseplant.
Dieffenbachia is originally from the tropical rain forests South and Central America such as Brazil, Ecuador and Costa Rica. It is used as a decorative outdoor plant in (sub-) tropical regions of the world and can reach a height of 2 metres in those areas.
In temperate climes, the Dieffenbachia sequine makes a wonderful and popular houseplant. It is possible that this plant could flower in the home, but this is more to be expected in tropical regions.
Dieffenbachia belongs to the Araceae family and as all members of this family the Dieffenbachia contains a toxic milky sap. There is however, under normal circumstances nothing to worry about. If you do come into contact with it, it is advisable to rinse your skin with water.